Saturday, 19 October 2013

bookish survey thing

 Buy this shirt here. Get me one too, ok?


---

 

 Hey remember MySpace quizzes? I found this thing on Alycia's blog and couldn't resist for some reason. I've always been a reader, I wish I could read even more than I do now!


Author you’ve read the most books from:

In my life? Probably Stephen King to be honest. When I was a tween I was obsessed first with Archie comics, then Goosebumps, then  a lot of Stephen King. Maybe that's why I'm so moody and weird as an adult. haha

Best Sequel Ever:

It's hard for me to remember...Alycia did mentioned the Clan of the Cave Bear series and I remember being completely hooked on those in high school. OH and of course all the Song of Ice and Fire books are the best books ever

Currently Reading:

The Lying Game by Sara Shepard. Yeah, another teen novel. I don't know how I keep ending up reading them, I guess it's from getting my reading recommendations from the internet. Hey internet, how about some adult literary fiction please? It's not a bad book actually, but geez enough with the angsty YA books already.

Drink of Choice While Reading:

Coffee! Then I get all jazzed up.

E-reader or Physical Book?

Being a bit of a germaphobe (hahaha spell check wants me to change "germaphobe" to "geographer") and a lover of tiny things,  I would choose my Kobo Mini any day, especially for reading library books. I love that thing! 

Fictional Character You Probably Would Have Actually Dated In High School:

Uh...no idea. I probably would have liked Jamie from Highlander, if you know what I mean. heh heh

Glad You Gave This Book A Chance:

The Lost World by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. I thought a book that old would be super boring and dry. I was wrong.

Hidden Gem Book:

I really loved The Long Walk by Stephen King. It's a super short, fast read, but so brutal. The story stays in your head long after you're finished reading it. Everybody I know who has read it says the same thing.

Important Moment in your Reading Life:

When my dad loaned me his Kurt Vonnegut collection when I was a teenager. Changed everything. 

Just Finished:

Horns by Joe Hill. It was really good, really depressing and kind of gory. Long story short, a guy wakes up after a bender and realizes he has horns growing out of his head that affect other people very strangely. It's a dark read for sure.

Kinds of Books You Won’t Read:

Romance and most "chick lit". Anything too dumbed down, and, not to sound like a snob, but anything really poorly written. If I feel like I have to edit the wording in the first few pages (like 50 Shades of Grey, geeeeezzzz that was a terrible book) I will quit the book. 

Longest Book You’ve Read:

No idea. It might be The Stand by Stephen King. Unless the Game of Thrones books are longer? I don't really count pages, it's easy to forget a book is super long when it's on an e-reader and you don't have to carry the physical pages around with you.

Major book hangover because of:
The Road by Cormac McCarthy. The grey dismal depression followed me for days. I actually want to re-read this one to see what all the fuss was about because all I got out of it the first go-over was blaaah sooooo depresssinngggg

Number of Bookcases You Own:

A few small ones scattered around the house. I tend to only hold on to the books I love, which isn't *that* many. 

One Book You Have Read Multiple Times:

Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk. It's not the best book or the worst book, but I just end up reading it a lot.

Preferred Place To Read:

On the couch with natural morning sunlight coming in the window over my shoulder. Probably with a comfy blanket and a cup of coffee nearby. Or if everyone's too loud in the house I hide away in the bedroom under the bedside lamp. 

Quote that inspires you/gives you all the feels from a book you’ve read:

I'm not a quotey person. I'm horrible at memorizing things...a lot of what Bukowski says makes sense though. I'll find a good Bukowski quote for you guys. 

“We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.” 

Reading Regret:

I hate that I read almost the entire Fifty Shades of Grey book. I just really really wanted to know what all the fuss was about. Turns out ... I still have no idea. What a waste of time. 

Series You Started And Need To Finish (all books are out in series):

Listen, if I stopped reading a series it's because I didn't feel the need to continue. I get very committed to a book series if I'm into it. Now if only George Martin would hurry the f up and finish the Song of Ice and Fire ... I can't imagine the pressure he feels though. I'd be surprised if he ever does finish it in his lifetime. He needs an apprentice to carry on the legacy.

Three of your All-Time Favorite Books:

This is so hard to answer, because I tend not to rate things as "best" or "favorite" really. I have four bookshelves full of books I can't bear to give up. Here are some of them:




(Except NOT The Bonfire of the Vanities, what a crappy boring read that was.)

Unapologetic Fangirl For:

Stephen King. Yes, still. I don't care, he's a great storyteller. I don't read his stuff that often but I will always stand behind the Dark Tower series and The Stand as amazing books.

Very Excited For This Release More Than All The Others:

THE NEXT SONG OF ICE AND FIRE BOOK DAMNIT I'LL PAY $50 for a hardcover just give me more knights and dragons haha.

Worst Bookish Habit:

Being too cheap to just buy books when I want to read them. I am the worst. If they were like five bucks I could see buying books but I can not justify paying twenty dollars. So glad the library exists.

X Marks The Spot: Start at the top left of your shelf and pick the 27th book:

I can't see my bookshelf, I'm in another room. I'm just going to guess...um...Catch 22, a novel I've tried reading ten times but have never gotten halfway through because I get too confused.

Your latest book purchase:

I think the last thing I bought was a few paperbacks from a used bookstore. The only one I can remember offhand is As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner. But that was a really long time ago.

ZZZ-snatcher book (last book that kept you up WAY late):

World War Z! I couldn't stop reading that book.


---

If you have any reading recommendations, maybe not YA (please!), please let me know in the comments. I am getting sick of teen dramas you guys! Give me something gritty and real. 

What have you been reading lately? 

If you do this quiz link it to me in the comments so I can see what you have to say about books and stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment