Sunday, 24 November 2013

livejournal quiz style




This is me right now, as seen by my webcam. Dog snoring on lap, the stupidest cat shirt ever, glasses. It's the weekend! Woo! And Caitlin, the tattooed arm in the picture for no reason is for you girl! #inkedup4lyfe #tattooedgirlz

This q&a about blogging is making its rounds and ... I don't know, I just feel like doing it. Whatever. Shut up.

1. When did you first start blogging and why?
In 2007 I was living here in Victoria BC, going to university. I signed myself up for a year long exchange program, and was getting ready to move to Xalapa Veracruz, Mexico. I had a friend who had a blog and I thought it was a great way to keep everybody at home updated on what I was doing while away. I think I actually only ended up writing on that blog five times over the four months I actually stayed in Xalapa, and the writing was terrible. 
 
It's weird to think about that me, because I wasn't interested in writing or photography AT ALL when I was there. Now, if I went back and did the whole thing over I'd be fucking snapping 800 pictures a day! And writing every night about the weirdos and the awesome things I saw. And the food! And the school. Anyway when you think back six years, how much have you changed? I bet it's more than you realize. 

2. Have you had any past online presence?
Oh yeah! I was REALLY into MySpace. I even met a boyfriend online and made a friend from Australia who I still keep in touch with today. We talked on the phone and everything back then. The corded house phone. hahaha why is this quiz making me feel a million years old?

3. When did you become serious about your blog?
Never!! I had a few incarnations of basically the same blog, but every time I started to get "popular" I would ditch it and make a new one. I think the pressure of entertaining strangers is not the experience I'm trying to have here. I want to have cool online friends and document my small life, not write life hacks and collect followers like currency to sell back to advertisers.

4. What was your first blog post?
Oh it was TERRIBLE. It was on that Mexico blog I talked about in the first question, before I left I decided to do a cleanse. (I was working at Planet Organic at the time, full of hippies and cleanses haha) So the entire entry was like Hi my name is Nova and I am just starting a cleanse today. This is what I can eat. (list of food) and this is what I can not eat. (list of food). The end.

5. What have been your biggest challenges blogging?
Like everybody else I go through periods of apathy when it comes to blogging. What's the point? You know? But then I get hit with a surge of this weird artistic inspiration that needs as many outlets as possible, and so blogging becomes part of it again. In the past I let it become part of my daily chores, like in my head I had a list like "eat breakfast, do the dishes, write a damn blog post, check the mail..." but I hated that it was a chore. Once I stopped caring about regular posting schedules I was much happier. 
 
Another challenge I find is the regret of saying too much sometimes. I forget that friends and family can find this. Or people from work. Or else I forget that complete strangers can find this. There's a fine balance to saying just the right thing. And sometimes that censorship also leads to the apathetic cycle because what's the point of saying anything if I can't say what I want to say?? 

I deal with this by using Oh Life. I put all my feelings on there in a private blog. Every single day. It even emails me to ask how my day went!

6. What's the most rewarding thing about blogging?
Definitely definitely meeting "blog friends". I've got people all around the world who I really truly like and care about. And that's pretty neat.

7. What is the most discouraging thing about blogging?
I used to contend with jealousy a lot, when I cared. I started to get hundreds and hundreds of pageviews which I thought was good until I found out how much a "popular" blogger got. I didn't understand why someone who posts stolen tumblr fashion pictures was infinitely more popular than I could ever be. Now I know that they are popular in the way a crappy tabloid magazine is popular. It's something your brain doesn't need to think about but has pretty pictures. 

The amazing writers will always have an audience, but it'll always be smaller than the audience who enjoys seeing celebrity fat jiggle. Sad but true.

8. What is your lasting inspiration or motivation?
The past is tinged by my rose colored glasses or however that saying goes, and I like to have something to remind me about the truth. Today is no more stressful than the same time last year, or the year before that, or the year before that. Nowadays I fantasize about going back to school again because what a lovely carefree time that was in my life ... until I read back about how hard it actually was. 
 
I like seeing pictures of something I did, and reading about it. I nearly forgot that I saw a dead whale a few years ago, and what it smelled like and that its penis was out. If there was no internet I'd have super elaborate diaries. I'm just a natural record keeper. 
 
Plus, life is so absurd, it's fun to put weird observations somewhere. 

9. What is your blogging dirty little secret?
Probably that I blog. I don't announce it to the people I meet in the real world, that's for sure. I still think it's totally embarrassing.

10. What is your current goal as a blogger?

Keep it real! Be down to earth. Maybe write more. I don't know, I'm trying to keep it as just a space for whatever I want to put here. 
 
Like ... this?

 

hahaha I don't know.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment