Saturday, 7 December 2013

the weather outside is frightful



Two days ago it snowed!! It's not unheard of around these parts but it's rare enough to talk about incessantly until it melts, which it will in a few more days, I'm sure.

Vancouver island has the mildest climate in all of Canada, FYI, and the weather report says it still feels like -17 Celsius, which works out to about ... well this chart says 1.4 degrees Fahrenheit which is rather precise. Anyway it's actually cold, even the Albertan pride embedded in my soul can admit this. Us prairie people don't like to allow islanders to tell us what's cold. I remember a day when it was -50. I remember when my entire house was buried up to the roof with snow one morning! Don't tell me about cold you hippie!

But really, when it's even -5 and you're standing by the ocean, that wind. That wind is c.o.l.d.



The weird thing is everybody has snow chains here. I'm pretty sure I have never seen a single snow chain in my life before moving here. I have no idea how they work or why you're supposed to use them. Probably not for two inches of snow. Even though it keeps melting in the day and freezing into slick ice on the roads overnight.

I always start out comparing the weather here with the weather in Alberta when it gets cold like this. I'm all like "I handled -30 weather for weeks on end like it was no thing" but you know how I did that, honestly? I certainly didn't walk 2k and then wait at a bus stop! I didn't have to layer hoodies on top of cardigans underneath my inappropriate jacket! I didn't have to knock the snow off my tennis shoes.

I had all the gear, and I'd run out to start my car, run back inside as it ran for twenty minutes to heat up and defrost the windows, then I'd run back into the car, drive wherever I was going, park near the door and go indoors to a place that was properly weather sealed and heated. I'd be outside for a total of ten minutes a day probably! lol

Anyway I don't know what the point of this is except my hair is unusually static-laden and my lips are dry and I'm getting an under-boob/ribs tattoo tomorrow and I just feel like talking about the weather.


No comments:

Post a Comment