Sunday, 12 January 2014

READING IN 2014 - Book 1 - Doomed by Chuck Palahniuk

I've decided to read as much as possible this year. I was going to commit to a 52 books in 52 weeks thing but honestly? Who can read that much? Maybe I can buuuuuut... I don't know. Whatever. Anyway I love reading and thought this year I'd share my thoughts on books and bla bla bla you get it. And in the end we'll see how many I get through!

First book of the year. Doomed by Chuck Palahniuk.



I got this book for Christmas, autographed, from my dad and step-mom. Mister Palahniuk has been a steady favorite of mine for years and years. I especially love his books Survivor, Fight Club, Invisible Monsters and Haunted. Buuuuut...that being said, the last few books he's put out? Not the best.

A while ago I heard that his mother was very sick, and he wrote three books at her bedside, this one included. And I hate to say it but you can tell he was distracted. I've found lately his books have been missing any character depth and plot twists that I used to love in his stories. They're almost boring in their "weirdness", like he's been following the same formula for the past few books.

They all kind of read like first drafts. Every person and every chapter could use more description, more thought. There are a few token gross-out moments and some weird chapters of Nostradamus-like readings of predictions "foretold by the ancient ones". Yeah. They didn't work for me. 

I felt like this story in particular could have been told in about a hundred pages. It should have been a short story. 

I don't know, I was pretty disappointed. I finished the book out of a sense of duty to an author I once loved, but it was a slog.

I'd give this one a 2/10. Do not recommend.



No comments:

Post a Comment