Monday, 3 February 2014

READING IN 2014 - Book 3 - The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury



Well well well I finally got around to reading The Illustrated Man. I've been hearing it is amazing for years but honestly, I was so afraid it would be a cheesy book about a tattooed guy in the circus or something.

It's not about a tattooed guy.

Written in 1951, this book is actually a collection of short science fiction stories about "the future" (even though some of it takes place in the 90s, so it's the retrofuture I guess, lol). There's a lot about rockets, space travel, Mars, martians and the ways humanity interacts with these alien concepts.

I found that I read this book reaaaallly slowly, because each story needed time to digest. Some of them were outright horrifying, some were just straight up intriguing ideas and there was one really heartwarming story as well. Do I recommend this book? Hell yes. But only if you're at least a little bit interested in Science Fiction.

It's hard for me to say much more about the "plot" as it were, because other than "humans capable of space travel and incredible technology" there's nothing I can say that's not a huge spoiler to any of the stories. Just read it. It's cool.

The end.


Image via Navy Reads

No comments:

Post a Comment