Tuesday, 29 April 2014

online writing exercises

I tried changing the "text background color" on this post so we'll see what happens I guess. So as I've mentioned a few times I have joined up with Open University and am currently taking a fiction writing course. Our first exercise was to write two 50-100 word paragraphs.

The first one was to contain three fictitious elements and one fact, and the other was to contain three facts and one fictitious element. After writing them we were to post them in a blog comment where everybody can read it. So I did mine and then posted it, then went through and read some of the hundreds that are already posted. And yeah, theirs are better than mine.

For some reason I took the instructions to mean that the reader should know which things were fiction and which were facts, but everyone else just wrote whatever and who knows what was true and what wasn't, which ended up being the purpose of the exercise. (To teach us that the most engrossing fiction usually sounds like fact.)

 But I thought I'd post them here anyway, because I never post writerly thangs anymore.

Paragraph one:



 “Now that you’re turning thirteen, there are some things you should know,” she said, eyes darting. “Penguins are not real. They are the Santa Claus of the South Pole. Lipstick contains animal parts. Sometimes even fish scales.”

“Mom, wha-“

“Let me finish your lesson. You aren’t going to go out in this world alone without knowing everything I know. So what else? Let’s see, let’s see. Ah, Pegasus never existed but I’m pretty sure unicorns were around like back in medieval times. Dogs only see in black and white.”

She paused, and took another pill.  



Paragraph two:



When you work in customer service there are the things that get you through the day psychologically unscathed. There’s the mental meditation; focusing on a mantra such as “Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part.” There’s mocking irrational customers the second they walk out the door. There’s watching the clock, either counting down the minutes or calculating how much you are making while performing each meaningless task expected of you. And finally, there’s flat-out cold-clocking the guy who threw his pocket change down on the counter and expected you to count it out for him.

Oh that's what text background means. Huh. There ya go. Hooray for trying new things.


Welp, see ya later.


No comments:

Post a Comment