Saturday, 10 May 2014

Reading in 2014 - Book Ten - The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan



Right now I'm struggling with whether or not I should tell you guys what the book was actually about because it was cool starting into it not knowing. When I started reading it I had absolutely no idea what it was about, other than it was "an action packed thriller" and I assumed, from the title, that it was about an infectious disease.

But the action starts in the first couple chapters and every synopsis I've ever read gives it away so ... fuck it. If you want to be kind of surprised, quit reading this post now and just check the book out, it was pretty great.





... go on, get out of here.

















Okay, I think they're gone. 

So okay, yeah, it's a very creepy vampire book. They are gross and not glamorous or cool or brooding or sparkly in this story. They're the product of a nasty parasite, and are disgusting and terrifying. The story follows a number of characters, starting out in Nazi-controlled Europe into modern day New York City, and how they deal with their city (and sometimes themselves or their loved ones) becoming infected.

It was a really cool read, action packed and like I said before, creepy. But what else would you expect from Guillermo Del Toro? So if you're into vampires, suspense, or just need something to read, check this book out.

7.5/10 because I thought the ending was sort of weak.

I also just found out this is a trilogy. I'm kind of 50/50 on whether or not I'm going to check out the other ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment