Tuesday, 24 June 2014

Reading in 2014 - Book Fifteen - Dark Places by Gillian Flynn




I only picked this book up from the library because it was by the same lady who wrote Gone Girl and I wanted to give her another chance. I'm so glad I did! This book was extremely suspenseful. It's classified as a "mystery" which, had I known that before picking it up, would have stopped me from reading it. Something about the mystery genre makes me feel like the book is going to be cheesy.

This one isn't.

The book is about a survivor of a mass murder, written from her perspective in the present, as well as one of the victim's perspectives and the suspected murderer's perspective in the past, which sounds weird and confusing but it's not. I actually really enjoyed seeing what happened through so many character's eyes and it added to the suspense. And I really was kept guessing the entire time about who the murderer was. At the end I literally said to Ryan "I did not see that coming!"

I give it an 8.5/10 but I will warn you there is a pretty disturbing description of animal cruelty near the end. I didn't like that part :(

No comments:

Post a Comment