Sunday, 29 June 2014

Reading in 2014 - Book Seventeen - The Enchanted by Rene Denfeld


This book was a quick read for me, I read the entire thing in two days on bus-rides and before bed. It was really great, and also pretty brutal. The story is told from the point of view of a death-row prisoner who isn't all there. You see the world of the prison as told through the filters of his coping mechanisms and mental illness. 

Touching and full of awful glimpses into the lives of condemned men, this book grabbed me by the imagination and had me right up to the last page.

7/10, I would have given it more but there was something I didn't care for which is hard to explain. A lot was left out of each scene which made the book feel kind of weirdly disjointed. This may have been done purposefully because of the narrator's mental state but it left a lot of questions after the book ended. What happened to this guy? Why are these characters suddenly gone? That kind of thing.

But yeah, definitely give this one a read. Like I said it's pretty short so whether you end up liking it or not it's not a huge commitment.


No comments:

Post a Comment