Friday, 13 June 2014

Reading in 2014 - Books twelve and thirteen - Geek Love by Katherine Dunn and Packing for Mars by Mary Roach



Geek Love by Katherine Dunn

So I've heard a lot about how great this book is for years and never gave it a shot until now because the title is rather misleading. I thought this was a book about nerds finding true love.

Nope. Not even at all.

This is a fictional story about a carnival freak show family, the Binewskis, and their extremely uh ... let's say "unconventional" life. It took me a few chapters to really get on board with the whole idea because, like I said, I was expecting a couple nerds in romantic situations, not a guy with flippers for arms and amputees and bald hunchbacks. Anyway, it ended up being a pleasant/unnerving surprise of a book.

8/10, read it if you are looking for a mildly disturbing freak show of a book.

Packing For Mars by Mary Roach

I love Mary Roach's books but as a general rule I can't really read them for pleasure. I sit down and feel like I'm doing readings for a (really messed up) university course. This book was no exception. It's interesting, it's a non-fiction collection of essays about outer space and answers all the weird questions you may have about what it's actually like to go up there, but it's definitely not light reading.

I enjoyed it all the same, and I'd give it 7/10. It's well written and full of fascinating facts and funny anecdotes. If you're a science-minded sort give it a whirl.




No comments:

Post a Comment