Saturday, 19 July 2014

I like where this is going!




As a lady who has hovered between size ten and fourteen for my entire life, I have to say I am pretty stoked about this booty movement that's been gaining momentum over the past few years. The celebration of the curves. The call for un-photoshopped role-models.

I'm not happy that it's turning into size zero hate, because that's just as shitty as size zero worship. But I am sooooo glad that having an ass is okay now. Because I do. And no matter how fit I get or how little I eat it's always there. I don't know about all the rest of you ladies out there in your 30s or older, but all through my teenage-hood I was competing with images like this:


Literally, it would have been impossible for me to ever ever ever look anything like these ladies, but I didn't know that. I thought it was a failure on my part. Why are my hips so wide? I must be eating too much. I didn't put it together for a long time that Hollywood was selecting these women who were genetically disposed to that body type, it wasn't that everybody could look that way with a little discipline.

There were a few songs about big butts out there, but tbh I always felt humiliated when Fat Bottom Girls or Baby Got Back played on the jukebox. As soon as the first "ohhhhhhh" of Freddy Mercury's voice sounded I could feel all the eyes in the room turn toward me. I don't know about the rest of the world but in central Alberta, Canada, it was more of a joke than anything.

I think the difference between now and then is it's the women singing about their own butts.

So thank you Beyonce. Thanks Kardashians. Thanks Christina Hendricks. Thanks J-Lo. Thanks Nicki Minaj. Thanks Sofia Vergara. Thanks Mindy Kaling. Thanks Adele. The more of you out there, the more normal I feel.


**this is literally the only picture I could find of myself that shows even part of my butt, I strategically delete anything that makes me feel self-conscious. (because why keep something that makes me feel bad?) This picture is deceptive, first of all because the tattoo is very distracting, but also the angle makes me look way skinnier than I actually am.

No comments:

Post a Comment