Sunday, 6 July 2014

Reading in 2014 - Book Nineteen - The Painted Girls by Cathy Marie Buchanan


I don't know what made me choose this book along with my giant stack of other books at the library during my panic attack a few weeks ago. I am not super into historical novels unless they're REALLY well written stories, I'm not into love stories and I'm not into reading about ballet or operas or theater stuff. Which is *sort of* all this book is about.

But I still liked it. I finished the book, even keeping it two days after its due date to finish the story. This book isn't as cheesy as the cover makes it sound. It's actually a pretty harsh story about three sisters and their alcoholic mother living in poverty in Paris in ... I don't know exactly the year but they still had horses and carriages and the guillotine. Their only means of income is to become a washerwoman, work as extras in various performances at the opera, or ... modeling and/or doing sexy things for creepy men.

I liked the harsh realism, I liked that none of the characters were portrayed as being super beautiful and I liked that there wasn't a prince charming who whisked any of them away.

I'd say this was a 7.5/10 for me. It wasn't mind blowing in any way but a fun way to pass the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment