Wednesday, 29 October 2014

Reading in 2014 - Book 31 - Seriously...I'm Kidding by Ellen DeGeneres





You know how people always say there's "dad jokes", like dumb puns and that kind of thing? Well I think of Ellen's jokes as grandma jokes. They're the kind of thing that I can picture a 60+ year old lady laughing and saying something like "You're so bad!"

Anyway this book was FULL of grandma jokes, and very little substance. I learned less about Ellen than I would watching one of her monologues on her show.

I'm saying this as a fan. I like her show, it's a feel-good time passer. And definitely the lesser of the evils of daytime television.  I admire her work ethic, and her commitment to keeping a positive attitude, and of course her love for animals and that she was super brave coming out publicly in the '90s and bla bla bla. I used to watch her sitcom all the time as a teenager.

Buuuuuuuuuuuut... this book sucked. It reads as a one-dimensional goof-off and as a reader I wanted more. I was disappointed that she didn't spend any time going back and maybe telling the truth behind those flat jokes. Where's the pain, or a struggle or something? Where's the real life? All we got was TV Ellen.

Maybe that's what her fans like, but it was not for me. 2/10


No comments:

Post a Comment