Thursday, 30 October 2014

you have a beautiful smile

At the bus stop the other day a sleazy looking man walked across a restaurant parking lot and said something to me. I couldn't hear what he was saying due to my over-the-ear headphones but my guard was up. I paused the podcast I was listening to and pulled one side off my ear.

"What?"

"Do you have the time?"

Oh. Silly me, he was just asking me a normal question, and it would make sense to ask me because I clearly was listening to something on a device that would have a clock.

"Yeah," I said, relieved. This was going to be a normal human interaction for once. "It's 7:33."

"Thanks." He said and started walking away.

I put my headphones back on, pushed play, and then when I looked back up from my iPod saw he was still standing there, saying something. I pulled the one side away from my ear again and said "Sorry, what?"

"You have a beautiful smile."

And then he just stood there looking at me.



Well. That interaction was ruined.

Guess I'm not just a person with a clock after all.



I reacted by putting my headphones back into place with a blank look on my face and crossing my arms, basically ignoring him until he walked away. But all the rest of the way to work I felt so upset and I couldn't figure out why.

I guess it's just ... I never seem to have just a normal interaction with a man in the street. And honestly that hurts a bit. I just want to make a human connection every once in a while that doesn't end with "NICE ASS" or a creepy wink, you know?  Does every conversation always have to have an ulterior motive?

Anyway just wanted to share that, because it's still sort of bumming me out a few days later and I'd like to hear what some of you have to say about it.






No comments:

Post a Comment