Tuesday, 11 November 2014

Drawing a Simpsons/Walking Dead mashup

 



 Well this was ridiculously fun to make. It was Ryan's idea, I was messing around with drawing Simpson's characters and out of nowhere he said it'd be funny to draw someone saying "Stay in the house, Carl" to ... Carl. From the Simpsons. Yeah, you get it.

Anyway I started out by Googling pictures of Simpsons characters. I zombified some of them and the others were already in the right positions. So I sketched them out in pencil in a sketchbook.

For the most part I'm pretty pleased with myself. The only thing I'm not super happy with is the corner with Marge and Lenny, I should have made them bigger. And Carl's Rick Grimes hat certainly leaves much to be desired. Oh well, it's my first try, you have to be kind to yourself when you're just learning.


The next thing I did was add the lettering. It's not super nice, I was just fooling around really. I also added flames to fill in the gaps between the characters and shaded in the entire background with pencil.


The next step was adding thick black outlines to all the characters, so they stood out from the background a bit better. If I learned anything from hanging out with a bunch of tattoo artists all these years it's that everything needs more black all the time.



Then I added in Hans Moleman because there was a huge gap behind Moe and I didn't know what to do with it.

 

 And finally, I used my new amazing copic markers to shade in everything. Then I erased the pencil background because I didn't really like it and added some details.



 Obviously I'm still learning and have a long way to go, but still. I wanted to share. One day I can look back at this and laugh.


No comments:

Post a Comment