Saturday, 8 November 2014

How many tattoos do you have? Part twenty one - hand and beetle on my thigh.


 Half-done instagram.

I was lucky enough to get an appointment with the man Eckel himself! I didn't even really care what I got from him because I knew whatever it was would be amazing.

The way I ended up with this design was ... well I flipped through one of his sketchbooks and chose a thing I thought was cool. A beetle. Then he asked if he could put a hand holding the beetle and I was like "of course you can!" and that was that, basically.

I showed up for my appointment and loved the drawing and we did it in one shot. It was pretty quick, maybe four hours or so I think. Now, listen to my words of wisdom. No matter how many people tell you that thigh tattoos don't hurt they are wrong and they are liars. They HURT. A lot. The inner thigh wing was bruuuu-tal. I might be more sensitive there than a lot of people maybe? I don't know. But it was the worst.

Totally worth it of course, and yes, I will end up putting more and more tattoos there, probably soon. So I guess it wasn't that bad. But still. Take my advice and ignore those "thigh tattoos are easy" people.

---

  There were all kinds of friends around that day, and my tattoo was well-documented. I took screenshots of all the instagrams I was in.



 And here's a picture of it after I unwrapped it and gave it a good wash in the shower. It's a little bruised and red in this picture.

Isn't it absolutely gorgeous??



But that's nothing. You want to see some bruises?? This was the day after. I mean come on, me. Really, leg? It's a bit overkill. (Please ignore the Rolling Stones boxer shorts.)



I also managed to get a bit of an infection in the inner-thigh wing while healing this which was SO painful. It didn't heal for weeks. It was awful. And of course I felt terrible about it, because it ended up healing a bit rough..

I think what happened was that directly after I got tattooed, rather than going home and babying it as I should have, I put pretty tight jeans on (over the bandage) and went out for dinner, then took the bus and walked home. I blame the jeans.

Anyway I ended up having to get touch ups about a year later and I felt terrible about it. Sorry Eckel! Anyway, it's perfect now. Hooray!

 ---





You can buy some of his books and prints here.



No comments:

Post a Comment