Monday, 10 November 2014

Reading in 2014 - Book 31 and 32 - The Year of the Flood and MaddAddam, parts 2 and 3 of the Oryx and Crake trilogy by Margaret Atwood


Well this was crazy. I am a huge fan of Atwood's Oryx and Crake, a book published in 2003. So when I started reading Year of the Flood I was at first confused. Why did this world seem so familiar? Wait, there are pigs with human-like intelligence in this one too? And cute little raccunks too? And ... humanity is about to end from a plague? Wait a minute.

It's the same universe.

Turns out I unknowingly stumbled into book two of a trilogy! I had no idea it was a trilogy but man was I stoked to get back into that world. And Year of the Flood was a satisfying look at what other people went through during the "waterless flood".

The only thing I didn't care for was the "prayers" and "hymns" at the beginning of each chapter. I found myself completely skipping them near the end, even though they gave vital information.

8/10 and I'm reading the third installment now, titled MaddAddam. It's also really great so far. I won't bother writing another thing for it, unless it totally tanks for some unforeseen reason I am also going to recommend it with an 8/10.

---

According to the internets there is going to be an HBO show made of these books!  I think it'll make a great show.

No comments:

Post a Comment