Friday, 23 January 2015

Reading in 2015 - Book One: Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell




I failed at hitting the 50 books in a year mark in 2014 by A LOT. I'm going to try it again this year. I love reading but sometimes I just don't feel like it.

This is a YA novel about two teenagers who are thrown together by accident and totally fall in love in only that way teenagers can. Which sounds terrible and cheesy until I tell you the rest: they are both from weird messed-up families and they shouldn't be together because society says so...I am doing a terrible job of selling this book, aren't I?

It took me WAY longer than it should have to read, I'm pretty sure it's a super quick read, but the file I ... uh ... "found" online was weird and would only display as 3 or 4 sentences per page. And my Kobo did not like trying to keep up with my fast fingers so I kept accidentally turning too many pages at once and then I would get frustrated and rage-quit the book.

But that's not the book's fault. I thought it was great. I loved the two main characters, Eleanor and Park. They were both cool and dorky, insecure and strong, and you just rooted for both of them the entire book. I especially enjoyed reading about their families.


The experience was a -2/10 for me unfortunately because of the stupid page-turning situation but the book I'd give an 8/10, as long as you don't mind a little bit of teen angst.


No comments:

Post a Comment