Saturday, 7 February 2015

Reading in 2015, book 3. Th1rteen R3asons Why by Jay Asher




Well. I did not like this book very much. I hated the writing style. Most of the book I sat there going "wait, who's talking?" but at the same time I didn't feel like I cared enough to slow down and find out. Not a good combination.

The story was ... okay. It had so much more potential, and I felt like Asher wrote a first draft and declared it good enough. It's about a teenage boy who had a crush on a girl who committed suicide. A few days after she dies he gets some cassette tapes in the mail with no return address. The tapes are from the girl, and she sent them just before she killed herself. There are thirteen stories on these tapes, reasons why she hated her life. Each story relates to a different person, and each person was to receive the tapes and hear the reasons why she killed herself. 

Interesting, right?

Well yeah, but there were some things that really ruined it for me. First of all, she left a map in each person's locker while she was still alive that said "you will need this soon" and then on the cassette tape she directs the person to follow the map around the town. It just seemed stupid and unnecessary.

Second, the main character is SO one dimensional it's almost painful. You don't care about him at all. Same with the girl who killed herself. She comes off as boring. THE GIRL WHO KILLED HERSELF IS BORING. 

Worst of all though, the cassette tape narrative was broken up nearly at each sentence with the teenage boy's thoughts and it just gets confusing. I wonder if it's because the book was meant for young readers and I read too fast? Except I was also confused about who the audience was meant to be for this book. It read as a YA novel, juvenile for the most part, but then BAM there's a rape, and some other sexual activity is described as well. Plus, you know, the whole suicide thing.

Anyway I don't recommend this book unless you're a gritty 13 year old I guess. 2/10

No comments:

Post a Comment