Saturday, 25 April 2015

new drawings

I have been drawing up a storm the past two weeks. It's what I look forward to every day at the bookstore, and all I seem to want to do at night. I've stopped all my other hobbies and pastimes (other than taking time for important events such as Game of Thrones on Sundays). 

So yeah, here's what I've been making, the good and the bad, over the past few weeks.



 Ryan and I went and saw that abomination of a movie, Chappie, in the theater. No idea why. We like Die Antwoord alright, and we like Neil Blomkamp. But we did not like this movie. Anyway it was basically a Robocop/Short Circuit/Die Antwoord music video.




So that's what that picture is all about. 

---

This one happened because

a) I started drawing Bart too close to the top of the page so I literally had to cut his head off and
b) I wanted to do that thing where there's some kind of light source that beams out a different color

Since Bart was laughing I put Krusty and Itchy and Scratchy and a TV in there. The eyeball, I don't know.

---
I wanted to try doing a flower that wasn't a rose or a tattoo-ey flower. And yeah, this is what happened. I don't hate it but come on, it's as square as the page and meh. Probably just needs more shading and stuff.

---



I think this one is so ugly! I have been forcing myself to finish things even though I think they're bad, just for the practice. So yeah, I think the grey background was a mistake with the bright colors. It makes the entire thing look washed out. And the darker yellow in Lisa's face went on really streaky. And the banner is too yellow. And the leaves are *almost* cool but look shitty against the grey. And the pink pearls around the edge are not all that circular. And the lettering should have been WAY bigger, you can hardly notice it up there in the corner.  And and and and .... all I can see are problems with this one. Yuck.

---



These are just some quickies I did in my smaller notebooks. I love the top half of the Moe one but I screwed up the writing at the bottom and the brown looks streaky. I might actually re-do this one later on.

The Die My Darling one is fine, I was just kind of fooling around and had a Misfits song in my head.

The lettering one, well ... it's ok. I guess. I like the top "I am trying to learn to do" bit the best. "learn" is a snake. I'm definitely going to work on my lettering in the near future. I may or may not have gotten a couple books on Amazon to help me with that.

---




It should come as no surprise that I do my best after working at the tattoo shop. I am rather proud of that top one with the "snakeock" or the "peasnake". That is actually just a couple Sailor Jerry flash animals grafted together so I can't take too much credit for the idea. But I like the layout and colors I used. 

Then I did the next one which is stiff looking but still ok. I called it "leaf nose McGee". The skull could use more depth and the flowers could be more dynamic.

---

I've been trying to understand watercolor pencils. Um, I have no idea what I'm doing.

I quite like how the beetle's back turned out in that first one, the shiny rainbow bit is neat. Dr. Zoidberg on the other hand? Meh. Would have looked better in marker. And I way overdid it with the rose in the first one. And the lady with no face looks weird. Whatever. I tried.
This is another Sailor Jerry flash combo, the big lady's hair is made up of smaller ladies, get it? I also used watercolor pencils for this one, you can see a TINY TINY bit of improvement from Dr. Zoidberg. I'm going to keep trying with those until I "get it".

---

I did these two yesterday. I had to travel to somewhere I had never been by bus, and left ridiculously early just in case. I ended up being 45 minutes early for my appointment so sat at a Starbucks across the street and started sketching a bulldog skull. When I got home I obsessively finished it, and then immediately started on a German Shepherd skull at my sister's request. Unfortunately I rushed coloring the second one a bit as I was getting tired and wanted to finish it before going to bed. And it shows. Especially around the mouth.

She also asked me to do a moose skull so maybe I'll do that tonight.


Again, I can see improvements and am happy with what I'm learning, even from the last drawing post I made.

Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment