Friday, 1 May 2015

Reading in 2015 - Books 9, 10 and 11 - Hit 'em and quit 'em

The library. Ah, the library. Ryan gets so frustrated when he brings me there, because even if I have books to read at home, and I say I don't want anything but I'll just be over there in the fiction section for a minute, he knows that I will take as long as humanly possible, and only leave when I cannot physically find a way to carry just one more book out of there.

I find the library a great place to try out new books. Usually when I have to pay for a book I will do so only after hearing great things, even if it's like a dollar at the bookstore there is no way in hell I am taking a chance it'll suck. But the library? I will grab whatever catches my attention because why not?

The only repercussion is having to make multiple trips back over there to return the (sometimes pretty heavy hardcover) books.

Anyway, these are three books I took a chance on and almost immediately quit.


---

Half Empty by David Rakoff


To be honest, I picked this one up half because I've heard of Rakoff before and half because of the funny cartoons on the cover.

I've heard David Rakoff is an AMAZING writer (it even said so in Amy Poehler's book!) but oh my god no. I couldn't. I just couldn't. There was something about the style that was so offputting to me I tried about four times and couldn't get past the first chapter.

With this book I am willing to admit the possibility that I am way off and was having a bad couple days, and I may try this author again in the future because I really wanted to like this book.

---


Dad is Fat by Jim Gaffigan



I like his comedy so I assumed I would like the book. And it was funny but WAY too parenting-centric. I couldn't relate and got kind of bored of it after a few chapters, put it down and never picked it back up. Again, there is nothing wrong with this book but I just didn't ... get it.

---

The Bear by Claire Cameron



This one was written well and was very interesting, it's told from the point of view of a five year old girl who is camping with her parents and her little brother. And then her parents get eaten by a bear in the middle of the night and I guess the kids have to survive on their own but I never got that far because the book was so disturbing.

It sounds cool, right? Well it is. But I just couldn't handle how real it was if that makes sense. So I quit before the girl even realizes her parents are dead. Maybe give this one a shot and let me know how it ends.

---

So yup, I am quite the book quitter lately.

Read anything good yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment