Thursday, 6 August 2015

Reading in 2015 - Book 12 - The Color Purple by Alice Walker


This is one of those books you've heard about forever but you can't remember why you've heard about it. At least that was the case for me.

It's basically the story of a few black families with insane issues, like I mean incesty shit happening and beatings and poverty and racism and general fucked-up-ed-ness in the 1930s in the U.S. It's written from the perspective of Celie, a 14 year old girl. The book uses her vernacular and spelling mistakes, and does a bit of jumping around through letters between Celie's letters to god and between her and her sister later on.

I don't know what to say about this book. I wouldn't say I enjoyed it exactly but I'm glad I read it. There were some tough points and some funny bits, but it left me with an impression of dusty desperation for the most part.

So yeah. Um, 7/10 I guess?

No comments:

Post a Comment