Tuesday, 4 August 2015

slow and steady



I am juuuust about half way done with my drawings for the coloring book I'm making. Note I spelled "coloring" the American way, I just can't handle the extra "u" we use here in Canada. Probably because I grew up watching Sesame Street and other educational spelling shows from the USA.

Anyway what I am trying to tell you is I am fucking busy. I have been working full time-ish 6 days a week, and then on my days off and evenings drawing anywhere from 2-8 hours.

But I feel like I'm not doing anything!

Ha. What a weird thing "the process" is. When you actually sit down and do the work you don't get any instant gratification. I mean, I get a few likes when I post something on Instagram but I really feel like I'm just sitting around all evening, ignoring Ryan and the kids and the dog, not paying attention to what's going on around me, just making shapes on paper.

Maybe because my only real artistic models are tattoo artists and they are all insanely talented and insanely FAST. They don't have the luxury of weeks or months to finish something, and so what I see is them sitting down with some reference and a couple pencils, some paper and the next day they've tattooed it on someone, been paid and are on to the next thing.

They get all kinds of thank-yous and although their job is crazy and I don't think I could ever do it because of all the pressure, there really is something to be said for the immediacy of it all.

I'm sitting here drawing weird shit for weeks and hoping that people will like it someday in the future. I don't know, it's weird. It's kind of like writing a novel in that way I guess. But probably easier. I wouldn't know, I never even got close to finishing the novel I started last year.

Anyway here's some evidence of progress:

 It's coming along, I think it's going to be a hit.

So here's a question for you all, and answer honestly:

What would you pay for a 60 page coloring book? Imagine three scenarios and answer for each one.

1. you don't know me and you see it in a book store in the mall or something
2. you don't know me and you see it on etsy
3. you know it's done by a "local artist" in your town and maybe know who I am in real life

I would appreciate any feedback with this, it's really hard to know what to charge for things sometimes. I have a vague idea but the more input the better! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment