Tuesday, 15 September 2015

things

I'm doing that thing where you go "I should write a blog post" and then you open up the page and it's sitting there all blank and ready to be filled with deep thoughts and keen observations but I'm like "duhhh duhh duhhh me like write thing for friends on my computer"


Get ready for some random this's and that's of my life.

So the college bookstore is in its second week of rush, lineups are STILL out the door; it's a pretty crazy time of year. I took this shot last week. It can feel pretty intimidating when you're walking into work and you know these are all your customers.

The lineup stays this way from 8am to 6pm for around 2 weeks. It's INSANE. 

---

I've recently watched a few movies: Ex Machina (did not live up to the hype in my opinion). Have you seen this? I was expecting some kind of shocking twist but it pretty much went exactly the way I thought it was going to go.

---

I haven't ready any books in weeks and I really want to be in the middle of a good one. I feel like getting over the hurdle of entering a new world in a new book is really difficult right now, but I want to be able to jump into an already familiar one. Maybe that means I should re-read something I already know. But I have so many good ones sitting there waiting to be read on my Kobo.

Maybe I'll give it another shot tonight. I'll try and find an easy one.


The dog is driving us crazy, he can't help it, it's allergies. But all his medicines and potions and tonics aren't stopping him from smelling like a stinky yeast factory, and his infected ear is bugging him so he's constantly rubbing on things and licking things. After a while you just have to get away from that horrible licking sound, no matter how much you love the guy. I super love him too, don't get me wrong. In fact I'm doing my first comic about a trip to the dog park and he's my main character.


The sleeping guys in the bottom right drawing were drawn from life, he was snoozing on the couch when I did these. The others were from googling "bulldog face". Today in class we had to bring some character sketches in, plus a rough outline of how we want to lay out our panels on the page, and then we each got a little one-on-one time with the instructor where he gave suggestions and drew all over our pages. It was SO helpful, in my 2 minutes I feel like my comic went from meh to OMG cute.

So I'm looking forward to working more on it.

These classes are so neat.

Although I am finding myself falling into that introverted-shy idiot trap I always do when I am thrown into a group of new people. It takes me a LONG time to find my voice and make friends. For example, I'm just now feeling like one of the gang at the bookstore and I've been there for about 2 years on and off.

This is a great opportunity to meet like-minded people, or at least expose myself to other forms of creativity, yet I'm cowering at my desk, hunched over my drawing, kind of laughing when someone says something funny near me but never really being in the conversation.

I tried to get myself to just get up and walk over to somebody and say something, everybody else was doing it except a few other weirdos, but I couldn't do it. My butt was glued to my seat. The only time I got up was to see this weird paper this girl had that was made out of rocks (?!) and it was stretchy like rubber (?!) so that was pretty cool.

I'm not totally hopeless. A few people are kind of my in-class friends already, so that's good. By that I mean we made snarky jokes to each other like once and I count them as a friend now.

Whatever.

I'm working on it.

 ---
Here's a shot of the tattoo shop from when I was working on Saturday. You can see my silhouetted head and shoulders at the front, I was busy petting a cute dog.

No seriously, that's what I was doing.

---

We went to a video store and rented a dvd of Gremlins 2 the other night because Ryan had never seen it. UNACCEPTABLE. I got all inspired to do a series of watercolor paintings of the gremlins. I've done 2 so far and am not super happy with either of them. Let's call them practice gremlins I guess.


---



Wait. How did I not talk about my first life-drawing class on Thursday?

The class takes place in an ex-tv studio. There are stage lights, scaffolding and most of a model skeleton strewn about. There are folding tables and hard plastic chairs arranged in a circle and mats on the floor in the center. 

On our first day we were learning the very basics; gesture drawings in 30 second, 1 minute and 2 minute intervals. The model came in in a total cat woman costume. Whip included. Our first model was cat woman.

What! I actually panicked because she forgot the headpiece at home and I couldn't remember what the back of cat woman's head looks like. I ended up just drawing her hair because fuck it. But hey, guess what I learned? I SUUUUUCK AT DRAWING all over again. I feel like all the work I've been putting in at home counts for nothing in that class and I'm starting at zero all over again. 

At the end of the class we all turned our sketchbooks to the page we thought was the best work we did that day. We all sat on the mats in the center of the room like school children and piled our books up. Our instructor held them up one by one and they were critiqued without us knowing whose was whose. It was a good exercise, but when we came to mine I was mortified. The best comment I got on my best catwoman was "Well, she's...mostly on the page."


So that was kind of awful. And enlightening. You should see how GREAT the other people are! It's so cool

I'm not going to be hard on myself about it, that class is really out of my comfort zone, and most of the other people in my class have degrees in fine art or have been drawing people since elementary school. This is my first time. Ever. I just have to make sure I'm not comparing my progress to anybody else which is easier said than done.

There's a lot I don't ... get. I guess it comes with practice but how do you make it look like somebody has shifted their weight onto one leg? I guess body density as a whole. How do you ... um ... draw?

I'm hoping we get more into the hows in that class because "just draw this lady" is maybe less instruction than I need.

I'll keep you updated. Ha.

For now I'm keeping that sketchbook hidden away in my locker at the college, only for my eyes. And the 19 other people in my class too apparently. *sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment