Saturday, 6 February 2016

2016 books 1-3

I'm a person who reads a book and instantly forgets it. I have an overactive "delete" function in my brain. Try talking about the first season of the podcast "Serial" with me. I dare you. I definitely listened to it. I was enraptured at the time. But ... uh ... what happened again?

So I know I've read a few books so far this year. I can only remember three. I'm going to start mentioning them in this blog with numbers to see if I can hit my 50 book goal without forgetting any.



Book 1: The Fifth Wave by Rick Yancey 

It's a YA novel, first in a series. I grabbed it because they've made it into a teen movie and I like reading the book first to feel all superior about it. The protagonist is a teenage girl who survives the first four "waves" of an alien invasion and is trying to save her brother from the fifth wave.

There was a romance bit stapled on to the otherwise cool story. Of course. Because they can't not ruin it with stupid love triangle bullshit. It doesn't take over the narrative too much but come on. Just have a girl being awesome without some handsome boy intervening for once.

It was a quick read (I finished it in two days over the Christmas/New Year holidays) and I enjoyed it the way I enjoy all "pretty ok" YA novels. I wouldn't tell people to read it because I'm slightly ashamed to have been reading YA books, but it was a good time passer.

6/10
---



Book 2: How to Build a Girl by Caitlin Moran

I've heard a lot about this "feminist" novel and really wanted to give it a whirl for some time. I loved it, but it was not what I was expecting. It's a truly awkward coming of age novel, but also so dark and gritty. It doesn't make you feel sweetly nostalgic for your youth, it makes you go "Oh no! Don't do that!"

So there's a teenage girl growing up in a very poor family in England who figures out a way to become a music reviewer for a magazine in London, inventing a new self called Dolly Wilde, Lady Sex Adventurer, in the process.

For real, grow a thick skin and then read this book.

9/10
---



Book 3: Wild by Cheryl Strayed

I was on a bit of a roll with the female protagonists I just noticed. It's working for me. Wild is an autobiographical novel about Cheryl, who is struggling with the death of her mother, a heroin problem and her divorce in her late 20s, and decides to hike the Pacific Crest Trail (1100 miles) completely alone, and with zero experience.

The book is very well laid out, there are occasional flashbacks to her life, but they always merge seamlessly back into the trail. You can feel the pain in her feet and her heart as you read. I cried ugly tears at one point (do not read this book if you've recently had to put a pet down).

It's a weirdly refreshing book to read, I truly enjoyed it.

8/10

 ---
What have you been reading lately? Give me some suggestions!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment